Sunday, February 14, 2016

Tasting - El Cortillo Tempranillo 2014


14 February 2016


El Cortillo Tempranillo 2014
Name: El Cortillo
Variety: Tempranillo
Region: La Mancha
Country: Spain
Year: 2014
Price: $9

Shop Review: "Bright Purple. High-pitched red berry and floral scents display good clarity and a hint of cracked pepper. Shows a touch of jamminess to its pliant black raspberry and cherry compote flavors, with a spicy quality adding vibrancy. Finishes with good focus and no obvious tannins, leaving a sweet berry note behind."

My Review: I was expecting a Don Quijote and, unfortunately, that's what I got. This was my first time tasting a Tempranillo and despite high expectations, I had to settle for a lackluster wine. Strong spiced and pepper scent on the nose that was followed up with a burnt rubber ending. Taste had a similar old rubberband feel to it that didn't set quite right with my palate. I'm hoping that there is a Sancho Panza food pairing that can really save the day when working with this Tempranillo. 

Food: I did not taste this with food.

-W. 

No comments:

Post a Comment