Sunday, February 14, 2016

Dinner - The Palisades (South Africa)


10 February 2016


The Palisades has been one of my go-to restaurants in Virginia since moving here back when I started graduate school. It's a pretty neat place with great food so since my girlfriend is visiting this week I figured it would be a prime opportunity to experience the Wines Around The World. This week we experienced South African wine and cuisine that consisted of Bobotie with Yellow Rice paired with a 2014 The Royal Chenin Blanc, Chakalaka paired with a 2013 Indwe Pinotage, and finally Koeksisters paired with a Backsberg Brut. As always the Palisades staff didn't disappoint. 

The Palisades in Eggleston, VA






For the record I took this picture, but my girlfriend, Elizabeth, stole my thunder  and posted it on her Instagram first. It's not like I'm dwelling on it or anything, but I just wanted to set the record straight.










The Food and Wine Pairings









Here's how the meal was presented to us. The Bobotie with Yellow Rice is on the top right side of the plate, the Chakalaka (how awesome is that name) is the beans, tomato, onion combo on the bottom, and the Koeksisters is the tan, knotted pastry on the upper left side of the plate.

The wines going from the top left of the picture to the top right are the Brut, the 2013 Pinotage, and the 2014 Chenin Blanc.



Chenin Blanc, The Royal 2014


First up, the The Royal 2014 Chenin Blanc (13.5% ABV, 750 mL bottle). Highly transparent looking wine with a slight yellow tint. It had a very clean almost mineral scent and a light fruity smell, although I couldn't identify the exact fruit. It had a sour green apple taste to it with a medium acidity. The Chenin Blanc was slightly overpowered by the Bobotie and Yellow Rice, but the food also brought out a stronger kick to the wine. The hardiness of the food nicely complemented the lightness of the wine.





   
          Pinotage, Indwe 2013
   


Second, the Indwe 2013 Pinotage (13% ABV, 750 mL bottle). This wine had a deep maroon and burgundy color. It had a strong peppery and spicy smell to the nose. This wine had a dark cherry taste with a slight bitter coffee taste similar to cocoa. This Pinotage cut right through the pork taste of the beans, but the spiciness of the curry in the Chakalaka accentuated the high notes of the wine.





          
            Backsburg Brut



Finally, the Backsburg Brut (750 mL). I can't lie I wasn't impressed by this Chardonnay. Large bubbly wine that had a light, pale yellow tint. I caught a little apple scent with a nutty tinge to it on the nose. Honestly, I couldn't pick out much taste in this wine. Fortunately for this Brut, it was paired with Koeksisters with is a slightly sweet and dry pastry dessert. The Koeksisters bogged down my palate so much that drinking the wine was a refreshing reprieve. It was kind of like the oasis in the desert effect where literally anything would have been better after so much dryness. By far not the best Chardonnay I've had, but I guess it got lucky this time.



           
Elizabeth trying the Backsburg Brut
Andddd we closed it down






All in all it was another fantastic trip to the Palisades. Fortunately, our waiter had taken this wine class a couple of years ago and was willing to take the time and explain some things in depth. Plus he was totally cool with us being the last people in the restaurant so shout out to that guy. I'd recommend taking the 25-30 minute drive from Blacksburg to Eggleston, VA for any Wines Around the World event at the Palisades. I promise that it is absolutely worth your time and money. 

"Sorry for all of the millions, but I've never been lonely. I like myself. I'm the best form of entertainment I have. Let's drink more wine!" - Charles Bukowski

-W. 

Elizabeth and Me


No comments:

Post a Comment