Friday, March 4, 2016

Tasting- Velvet Crush


3 March 2016

Guest Amateur Wine Connoisseur of the Week: Drew Woods

Velvet Crush 
Name: Velvet Crush
Variety: Merlot, Cabernet, Sauvignon, & Petite Sirah
Country: USA
Region: California
Year: Mixed vintage
Price: $18

Shop Review: Velvety smooth texture just like its name. Soft tannins and lush dark fruit character. Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah bring backbone and character, while the Merlot balances out for a soft, smooth texture. 

Drew's Review: I've got a crush on this Velvet crush. I'm talking R. Kelly level of smooth with Aretha Franklin level power in the finish. Delightful tastes of plum and cherry mix well with the natural tannins. I'm interested to see if a few years would allow this blend to fully make it out of the closet.  

My Review: I don't know if it was just me, but my initial sniff was just solid stale urine. Not even cat urine like ammonia just gross, stale urine. Luckily, the second sniff was more pleasant and I caught some earthy, mossy tones on the nose. I tasted some hints of dark chocolate and coffee on the mid palate with some deep fruit flavors. 

Food: We did not try this with food. 

-W. 

No comments:

Post a Comment